Long Distance Moving
A Long Distance Move Is...
Two factors contribute to the price of every move: distance and weight. Because it’s difficult to define the mass of all contents, the chart below will determine the approximate weight of every shipment.
For convenience, we provide all our clients a free estimate online or by phone. However, keep in mind that we are unable to determine the exact weight of your shipment until the day of the move.
We welcome you to join us at a government regulated weighing station to weight the truck with and without your shipment. The difference between the two numbers is the weight of your shipment.
Price is determined, based on five elements: Weight, Distance, Packing and Materials, Valuation/Insurance and Accessory charges
- Weight After the truck has been loaded, the mover weighs the truck at a government-regulated weigh station. The long-distance rate (called a tariff) is regulated by the Federal Highway Administration (FHA).
- DistanceBased on those basic rates, a mover may offer discounts to customers. These may be based on destination, if the start or end point of the move is one to which the company may travel on a regular or frequent basis, or they may be seasonal to encourage business during slower times of the year.
- Packing and Materials The cost of boxes and other packing materials provided by the mover. For more details and information on materials, refer to our Packing Materials section.
- Valuation/Insurance A basic fee to cover your belongings in case of any damage that occurs during your move. We encourage you to visit our section on Valuation Coverage for more details.
- Accessorial charges - The tariff also applies to "accessorial" charges by long distance moves. Some of these extra charges could include the cost of fuel and worker's compensation, which may vary from state to state.
|Type of Dwelling||Average Weight in Pounds|
|1 Bedroom Apartment||1,000 to 2,000 lbs.|
|2 Bedroom Apartment||2,000 to 3,500 lbs.|
|2 Bedroom House||2,500 to 4,500 lbs.|
|3 Bedroom House||6,000 to 8,000 lbs.|
|4 Bedroom House||7,000 to 10,000 lbs.|
"With the help of your moving company, we arrived to Washington on schedule and we were able to vacate our home in Las Vegas on time. Because of the short notice for this move, your rapid and thorough planning from the onset was essential to success. Each furniture piece was blanketed and the rugs were fully enclosed to prevent damage. We appreciate that the crew handled each item carefully, as if they were their own. "
Jim & Mary Halvorsen - Moving From Las Vegas To Washington